Brain Burps About Books Podcast #227
Defining Magical Realism
An Interview with Laura Ruby
- The launch of How to Create Your Author Platform (and Market Your Books without Being Pushy) went great, the students are awesome. The course is wait listed but you can sign up to be notified as soon as it opens. Plus you’ll get 5 things you can do today to start your platform before you even get in the class. CLICK HERE
- Join the fun in the Brain Burps About Book Podcast Group: www.katiedavis.com/podcastgroup. I’ll be offering extras, and sharing resources to help you grow and learn best practices.
- I’m speaking at Podcast Boston on June 13th.
- I’m teaching Yale this summer. (Yes, THAT Yale!) Date to be determined – I’ll let you know as soon as I know!
This Week’s Guest is Laura Ruby!
This week’s guest is Laura Ruby. Laura is one of my BFF’s and she also writes fiction for adults, teens and children. She is the author of the newly-released YA novel BONE GAP*, as well as the Edgar-nominated children’s mystery LILY’S GHOSTS, the ALA Quick Pick for teens GOOD GIRLS (2006), a collection of interconnected short stories about blended families for adults, I’M NOT JULIA ROBERTS (2007), and the forthcoming middle-grade trilogy YORK. She is on the faculty of Hamline University’s Masters in Writing for Children Program. She makes her home in the Chicago area.
Laura and I talk about
- Bees and their relationship to gender issues.
- Animals: magical and otherwise.
- The way we see the people we love.
- How Laura names her characters.
- How many words do you need for a novel?
- How does Laura edit?
- What is magical realism and what is Laura Ruby’s definition of it?
- Helen Oyeyemi, author of Boy, Snow, Bird: A Novel
- Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
* I did receive a free advanced copy of BONE GAP and I am happy to call Laura Ruby my friend.
Some links might be affiliate links, which means if you click through them and get what I recommend they send me a genie who’ll grants me three wishes. Which of course, I will use to grant you three wishes. You pay nothing extra. (Seriously though, you don’t have to buy anything. I’m just sharing about things I like and use myself.)