I’m Katie. I’m a writer who also loves being an entrepreneur, and have been lucky enough to smush the two together. Don’t be misled.
I may be a goofball, I may like to laugh so hard I’m in danger of bursting something, and I may like words like “smush.”
I’m also dead serious about business, and work, and what I do for other writers.
I just have a ton of fun doing it.
So … if you’ve ever asked yourself,
- “What’s the most effective way can I promote my book?”
- “How do I create an author platform and what is that anyway?”
- “How do I get my name out there without going broke?”
- “How can I promote my books and products without coming across as cheap, needy, preachy or pushy?”
- “I need a video but don’t know anything techy?”
- “Where do I start?”
Or if you ever just wanted someone to take you by the hand and show you the step-by-step process of how to start making a living as a writer…… you’re in the right place!
Before I tell you how you can learn what I know, here’s how I learned everything …
- My Story
- Graduated from Boston University after studying photo-journalism because I knew I could write and thought there would be less homework (I was wrong about the homework).
- Got 9-5 jobs in advertising and marketing. My dad gave me the entrepreneur gene––turns out 9-5 … bad fit for me.
- In my twenties, started my own business called Dirty Dishes, creating, marketing, and selling hand-painted ceramics nationwide. Macy’s Herald Square store gave me gigantic order. After filling it, I expanded too fast.
- I stopped doing Dirty Dishes. I started licensing my designs. They’re big, especially in Japan, and particularly one called Scared Guy.
- Harcourt, Inc. and Simon & Schuster published my first eight picture books.
- I published one novel each with Greenwillow, (HarperCollins) and Diversion Books, and self-published a picture book and two marketing books, one of which launched at #1 on Amazon.
- 85,000 copies of my book, Kindergarten Rocks! was given to every pre-school child by the state of Georgia’s education department.
- In total,
over 250,000755,142* copies of my books have been sold. Because of that, and the awards my marketing videos were getting (becoming a finalist in various competitions and winning the Trailee Award for best book trailer) and the #1 on Amazon, I began coaching and guiding writers in how to do for their careers what I have done for my own.
Yikes! Over 20 years of experience in fewer than 10 bullets!
But you don’t need to take 20 years like I did. All you have to do is … get on my VIP list (it’s free), get my book marketing kit, which will then make you eligible for my free marketing lessons. You can start benefiting right now. It comes on a regular basis but not so often you’ll be driven crazy. Sometimes you’ll get notified of other carefully vetted opportunities to grow your business as a writer. I’ve got a proven, step-by-step process. I’ve proven it myself. There is no reason you can’t do what I’ve done. I share my secrets––well, they won’t be secrets anymore because I’m a big mouth and share everything.
Why couldn’t you build your author platform like I did, which will gave you the ability to launch your book at #1 on Amazon like I did?
Why couldn’t you build your YouTube videos like I did so yours are in the top 2.69% for views, too?
If I did you can too.
I STARTED BY WRITING FOR KIDS & HELPING KID’S WRITERS.
NOW I HELP ALL KINDS.
AND I’M STILL A WRITER.
RANDOM THINGS I LOVE:
– BEING TRANSPARENT.
– MY FAMILY.
– FEEDING PEOPLES’ PARKING METERS.
– VIDEO CREATION AND MARKETING FOR WRITERS.
– TIME TRAVEL.
It just kills me that I can’t do it. Except in books. So at least there’s that.
– SUPPORTING OTHER WRITERS IN THEIR EFFORTS TO BE SUCCESSFUL.
– TAKING NAPS.
Actually, it’s the hours after the nap I love. I keep thinking, “Wow, that nap was awesome. I loved that nap.”
– TEACHING WRITERS TO BE SUCCESSFUL.
– MANGO THE CUTEST DOG IN THE WORLD.
I’m so sorry if you were under the impression that your dog is the cutest dog in the world, but Mango carries that title.
Parsons, Pratt, Rhode Island School of Design.
I’ve walked by all these schools of fine art. I have attended none of them. I’ve always been creative but never thought I could earn my living as an artist. I could write though, so after graduating from college I went into PR and advertising. After getting fired six or seven times, I figured I should work for myself. Besides, I hated wearing panty hose. As author/illustrator I’ve had a stack of picture books published, and one novel, The Curse of Addy McMahon. My other novel manuscripts are getting rave rejections (so far).
Bio That Includes Stuff About My Family
I was born in New York City, grew up and went to the American College of Paris and graduated with a Bachelor of Science from Boston University. I got married and had two incredibly cute and talented children.
Recently we adopted a dog named Mango, whom, coincidentally, is also incredibly cute and talented.
I love to go camping but never do, love to play tennis, which I occasionally do, and love to eat Hot Tamales candy, which I quit doing because I did it too often.
The title above says it’s the fake bio but that is fake. This is the real bio. I am actually a spy and I can karate chop bad guys and make contraptions better than MacGyver that seem like they’re blowing up but they never hurt anyone yet serve to distract the bad guys so all the good guys can run away fast. I can fly and I can eat candy for breakfast and a lot of cake for lunch every day and French fries for dessert yet stay fit and fabulous plus I only need four hours of sleep per night. Heck, make it two hours per night. I’ll get more done that way.
*As of December 2014. I’ve been saying “over 250,000 for a few years now, and never did another count. I just did. I’m stunned (and thrilled)!