Updated with additional poet posters!
I’ve been planning a really fun way to celebrate poetry month and I’m finally ready to share it with you. Read that: get you excited so you’ll come visit here all next month! I sent out invitations to every children’s poet I could think of asking for any of the following:
• a video of you reading your favorite poem
• tips on how to get kids into poetry
• how to teach love of poetry
• your 7 best tips (or 5 or 3 – odd numbers work best to grab attention) to write a good poem
• how to write a bad poem
• why people think it’s easy to write like Dr. Seuss
• a post about why you love poetry
• why poetry is important
• what poetry can do for a child/the soul/the world
• how to sell a poem
• apps about poems or poetic apps!
• poetry ebooks
• where to post poems
• how poems differ from song lyrics if you think they do!
• themed poems
• recommendations of great books of poetry
• recommendations of books to learn about poetry
• a post about your favorite poem
• a poem about your favorite poem, now or from childhood
• write one especially for the month/ my blog/whatever you want
• you can provide an audio file recorded on an iphone and send to me
• write the opposite of what you usually write (funny? limerick? haiku?)
I have some amazing people already and just got a big YES from Doug Florian, someone whose work I completely geek out over, so I’m thrilled. Who else will be visiting? Check out this list and make sure to visit starting April 1 (and I’m not fooling).
Gail Carson Levine
Laura Purdie Salas
Michael J. Rosen
Rebecca Kai Dotlich
Douglas Florian (mostly probably maybe)
April Pulley Sayre