Test your Poetry IQ
Sylvia says since April is National Poetry Month it's the perfect time to test what you know about poetry!
No cheating by scrolling down to check the answers!
See how you do on these five questions about poetry for young people.
- Name one poetry book that has won the Newbery award.
- What is the bestselling children’s poetry book ever?
- Which poet or anthologist has won a Guinness Book of World Records?
- What is widely considered the best-known American poem?
- What Langston Hughes poetry classic was published in 1932 and is still in print?
1. There are 4 possible responses: A Visit to William Blake’s Inn, Joyful Noise, Out of the Dust, or Good Masters! Sweet Ladies.
2. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein.
3. Lee Bennett Hopkins, for publishing more poetry anthologies for young people than anyone in the history of publishing (113).
4. “A Visit from St. Nicholas” also known as “The Night Before Christmas” first published anonymously in 1823 and generally attributed to Clement Clark Moore.
5. Langston Hughes published The Dream Keeper and Other Poems, his only collection of poetry specifically for young people.
Where can you find more amazing poetry facts, thematic lists of poetry books, and tips on sharing poetry with young people?
The Poetry Teacher’s Book of Lists by Sylvia Vardell
And the book blog here.