Podcast Episode #148
Episode sponsor: Just Write for Kids
This time it's just me and you, the listener. I've got lots of questions like what's the average word and/or page length of a young graphic novel and a lot of other questions answered, too.
If you like the episode, please click here to tweet and share!
- Since when is PROMOTION junk mail?
- If I'm an illustrator and a writer, what's the best way to submit my book to a publisher? (Hint: here is a link to the fab template by Elizabeth O. Dulemba‘s)
- I'm not published yet but I'm creating my site. Should I start a blog?
- Can I draw characters that are similar to characters on cartoons/picture books as long as it’s slightly different name and shape (ex. “sponge bill has pants” rather than Spongebob Squarepants) or could I potentially be sued for doing that?
- Should you have more than one manuscript ready before you can really get a children's book agent?
- Do you keep track of hours you work on your books, receipts for how much you spend on your supplies and computers for tax deductions?
- Are there portions of the Video Idiot Boot Camp videos that I could show and use with my 2nd graders?
Do YOU have questions?
If you'd like answered for the show, click here to record them and I'll try to include them!
First Pages segment info
First pages will be completely anonymous! Submit and listen as the first pages or query letters are read and then critiqued to be improved in order to make the best possible impression when submitting.
Emma Dryden will be doing novels, both YA and middle grade. Emma Walton Hamilton will be doing queries, and Rachelle Burk, picture books.
All First Pages will be critiqued anonymously. Submit them as follows:
- to firstname.lastname@example.org as attachments.
- Formatted correctly as for submission to a publisher for example, click here.
To Review the Show on iTunes:
- Open the show's page in iTunes store here.
- Click on VIEW IN iTUNES button under the logo (cow).
- You will see the list of episodes. Scroll past them to “Customer Reviews” and “Write a Review” is right under that.
- Give it as many stars as you think it deserves!