Brain Burps About Books Podcast #241
What’s So Great About the 500 Word Picture Book?
An Interview with Laura Backes
- I’m hosting a FREE webinar to give you a sneak peek of Get Your First 1,000 Followers! You can ask me anything you want and I’ll be doing LIVE website critiques. Pick the time that works best for you:
Tune in to hear the answer to these burning writer questions and fears:
- How do I reach my target audience of 12-16 year olds?
- How do I start my platform when I’m not photogenic and I write under a pseudonym?
- I’m afraid of not having time to keep up with everything.
- It’s hard to start when I put everyone else’s needs before my own.
- Plus, a shout-out to my newest listener, Jackie!
This week’s guest is Laura Backes!
Laura Backes has been publishing Children’s Book Insider, The Children’s Writing Monthly for 25 years. Along with its companion membership site, The Children’s Writing Knowledge Base (www.CBIClubhouse.com). CBI is the largest source of information for aspiring and published children’s book writers in the world. Along with her husband Jon Bard, Laura has co-created numerous instructional webinars, videos, courses and books for writers, and is a frequent speaker at writing conferences.
Laura & I talk about
- Picture Book Summit – There are a few spots left! Register at www.picturebooksummit.com.
- How she became an editor.
- What it’s like to write a rejection letter.
- Why she prefers being an editor to being an agent.
- How to not be a “hack” in your writing.
- Innate talent vs. Developed talent.
- Why age is an advantage in your writing.
- What’s the deal with 500 word picture books?
- How picture book readers are more sophisticated today than in the past.
- The best way to write a great book.
- How you can join us at the Picture Book Summit PJ Party!