Updated with additional poet posters!
I’ve been planning a really fun way to celebrate poetry month and I’m finally ready to share it with you. Read that: get you excited so you’ll come visit here all next month! I sent out invitations to every children’s poet I could think of asking for any of the following:
• a video of you reading your favorite poem
• tips on how to get kids into poetry
• how to teach love of poetry
• your 7 best tips (or 5 or 3 – odd numbers work best to grab attention) to write a good poem
• how to write a bad poem
• why people think it’s easy to write like Dr. Seuss
• a post about why you love poetry
• why poetry is important
• what poetry can do for a child/the soul/the world
• how to sell a poem
• apps about poems or poetic apps!
• poetry ebooks
• where to post poems
• how poems differ from song lyrics if you think they do!
• themed poems
• recommendations of great books of poetry
• recommendations of books to learn about poetry
• a post about your favorite poem
• a poem about your favorite poem, now or from childhood
• write one especially for the month/ my blog/whatever you want
• you can provide an audio file recorded on an iphone and send to me
• write the opposite of what you usually write (funny? limerick? haiku?)
I have some amazing people already and just got a big YES from Doug Florian, someone whose work I completely geek out over, so I’m thrilled. Who else will be visiting? Check out this list and make sure to visit starting April 1 (and I’m not fooling).
Gail Carson Levine
Laura Purdie Salas
Michael J. Rosen
Rebecca Kai Dotlich
Douglas Florian (mostly probably maybe)
April Pulley Sayre
JoannaMarch 26, 2012 - 11:02 am ·
Wonderful list of poets and I love the options you gave them. I shall be swinging by throughout April….
Renee LaTulippeMarch 26, 2012 - 2:47 pm ·
Ooh, can’t wait to see the other guest posts – I’m honored to be on that list!
sharon from farm and fru fruMarch 26, 2012 - 10:15 pm ·
you have the best ideas! i’m already looking forward to it!
katieMarch 26, 2012 - 10:26 pm ·
Thanks you guys! It’ll be such a fun month!
Ellen RamseyMarch 27, 2012 - 7:20 am ·
What a splendid collection of ideas! I’m already waxing poetical!
katieMarch 27, 2012 - 7:49 am ·
Ellen, I just got another submission, an audio file, from Susan Taylor Brown. It’s amazing! I can’t wait to showcase all these amazing poets!
Bobbi KatzMarch 27, 2012 - 9:12 pm ·
I’m pleased to accept your invitation, Katie. It’s always fun to celebrate Poetry Month with colleagues. What good topics!
I think I’d like to show how to write a really bad poem by writing one! Yet I also think poetry is very important. I can give you a recording of my reading, but not until I finish my income tax!